Save the date! Detailed information and applications to be published on this site January 2020!
Conference by Candlelight in Stockholm
Main conference 4-6 September, 2020
Workshops 30 August - 3 September, 2020
An opportunity to consider the qualities, uses and experiences of candlelit performance and its relevance to 21st century theatre. How can we reliably recreate 18th century stage lighting in a time of rapid development of new environmentally friendly and sustainable technology?
We invite international researchers, lighting technology developers, stage directors, theatre designers and technicians with a passion for historical theatre to come to Stockholm to share knowledge, ideas and experience.
Conference venues in and around Stockholm will include Drottningholms Slottsteater of 1766 where the completely original structure includies the lighting installation, and the Confidencen Ulriksdals Slottsteater of 1753 where reconstructed 18th century stage machinery was installed a few years ago. Because Confidencen’s stage machinery has been re-created in modern times, recent productions there have been performed entirely in candlelight, which is world-unique. Most conference sessions will be held in the special atmosphere at Confidencen.
Our conclusions are intended to be of interest to all European historical theatres. Many theatres are changing their lighting equipment to meet new standards and need advice. These changes mean theatres must comply with new EU rules on more environmentally sustainable lighting. This conference will create opportunities for participants to see how 18th century theatre and performance looked and to consider their relevance and application to present day spaces and performances.
The conference programme will include:
- A history of stage lighting through the ages. A chronological journey!
- What did we learn from the Drottningholm lighting project of 1999? Decisions in aesthetics and technology.
- What do we learn from Confidencen today. What unexpected challenges did CEO Fredrik Forslund find in using candlelight?
- What will tomorrow bring? Has the experience of Confidencen changed the way we see re-created historic lighting? The new lighting technologies stimulated by environmental sustainability regulations also bring new challenges: how do they connect with flickering candlelight, light colour and life span?
The conference will be in English.
We invite papers and presentations for consideration that could be included in the conference programme.
Themes and issues for discussions on how to re-equip and re-imagine historic theatre spaces might include:
- The flame and candela
- The atmospherics of candlelight
- How audiences experience candlelit space
- The effects of candlelight on the ‘event’ of theatre going
- How actors, musicians, designers and technicians experience working in candlelight
- ‘Setting the scene’ and narrative in candlelight
- Costume and make-up in candlelight.
- Evaluating, measuring, re-thinking, managing flame-light
Conference proposals may take the form of Papers (max. 3000 words,) Powerpoint Presentations of max. 20 slides, Performance/demonstrations max. length 10minutes. Abstracts and proposals for the above of not exceeding 300 words should be submitted by Monday 27th January 2020 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Review Panel will include: Kate Burnett, KB, MA, Chair of OISTAT Research Commission; Ivo Kersmaekers, member of the OISTAT Executive Committee and Timeline Working Group; and Åsa Tillman, Planning manager Drottningholms Slottsteater and Vice president PERSPECTIV. Participants will be notified of inclusion by Mon 24th February 2020.
Please note that we will not provide any funding for delegates. It is also the responsibility of delegates to arrange their own travel and accommodation to Stockholm. A link to the chosen conference hotel with a special rate for the conference participants will be set out in the conference documents.
The conference is a collaborative event arranged by PERSPECTIV - Association of Historic Theatres in Europe, OISTAT - International Organisation of Scenographers, Theatre Architects and Technicians, STTF - Swedish Association of Stage Technicians, SLF - Swedish Lighting Designers Association in cooperation with Confidencen Ulriksdals slottsteater and Drottningholms Slottsteater.